OP
OP
ResetEraVetVIP
Nov 20, 2019
One is CGI.......

cl4CXq2.jpg

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
This is the kind of visual density I'm looking for, for next gen open worlds at least..

But, with bustling streets of pedestrians, cars flying overhead, dynamism and interactivity.

I expect at least a handful of the more focused experiences to far, far surpass this however.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Then by saying that Advent Children looks like one also. FF7R and Advent Children almost look identical. They both look alike, like CGI.
Put them side by side and you're immediately able to discern which one is CG and which one is the video game. It also helps that AC wasn't rendered at 1080p. My suggestion would be, playing say, and hr of FFVIIr, and then watching AC for free on crackle. The difference becomes more obvious that way. And it genuinely cannot be reiterated just how fucking bad the art direction of AC is.
advent_children_complete_07.jpg

ffac8_6.png

latest

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
How come Killzone Shadowfall, Ryze, Infamous Second Son instantly looked beyond anything on PS3 and 360 then? Infamous Second Son looks miles ahead of GTA V, which in turn probably had a budget 5-10 times higher. Same thing will happens this gen. RDR looks fantastic, it is one of the prettiest games of all time, but there are obvious shortcomings if way stop and look at things more closely like ground textures and so on. In these aspects next gen will destroy Red Dead 2. What makes Red Dead so insanely good looking is the unfathomable good art direction that makes every seen look like a painting. I cannot imagine Horizon 2 having the same budget as Red Dead 2 but it will definitely look many times better graphically.

RDR2 is a beautiful game, but it's beautiful in the bigger picture, as a result of layering excellent art and using mature technical underpinnings the whole is staggering. But once you start getting close it can really fall apart, compared to some Sony first party stuff it can't compete at that point. I regard it as being very well balanced and -- with exception to the awful PS4 Pro resolution scaling and the botched SDR-HDR -- they did a good job of prioritising visual elements relative to one another.

But yeah, next gen will trounce it..

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I suspect in ten years our games will look like that, OP. Maybe with some clever tricks, and a limited scope, we will see a few games that, at first glance, are as impressive. However, that is still a very tall order (despite all those qualifiers).

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
With much improved visuals and no need to hide loading times, hopefully pre-rendered cutscenes will go the way of the dodo (for the most part); in turn saving even more space in the game image. Will also make for more visually coherent experiences, plus FMV compression sucks.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Here's another reminder of what was attained on current gen HW with UE4:

Note the rolling in of foliage (pop-in) as the speed increases. Here's hoping that next gen offers up even better LoD system with greater mid to far detailed LoDs to pair better with increased asset fidelity.

I can't recall whether foliage like shrubs and leaves comprise of polygons or whether they are essentially mostly textures because iirc, Geometry Engine/Mesh Shader can work only work on polygonal objects.

Days Gone is always overlooked in graphics discussions. The character models and small details and clutter especially in interiors are insane!

daysgone_20190429015387kw9.png

KFYT4SW.jpg

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Days Gone is always overlooked in graphics discussions. The character models and small details and clutter especially in interiors are insane!

daysgone_20190429015387kw9.png

In terms of realism as it pertains to playable character both in and especially, out of cutscenes? Yes, I have honestly not seen any better to date and this definitely comes down to the devs keeping the SSS on at, presumably, all times.

Here are two pure gameplay shots courtesy of Dumbmugi which vividly illustrate that point and bolster yours:

da41051323714120.png

60f6411323714105.png

If this look this good on current gen HW, things can only improve on next gen HW.

Jan 21, 2019
RDR2 is a beautiful game, but it's beautiful in the bigger picture, as a result of layering excellent art and using mature technical underpinnings the whole is staggering. But once you start getting close it can really fall apart, compared to some Sony first party stuff it can't compete at that point. I regard it as being very well balanced and -- with exception to the awful PS4 Pro resolution scaling and the botched SDR-HDR -- they did a good job of prioritising visual elements relative to one another.

But yeah, next gen will trounce it..
I 100% agree with you. Very little in Red Dead 2 is actually beyond what other games have done. IQ, textures, character models, animation etc have been done much better in other games. But the overall package is just so goddamn beautiful. I think it's the game with the most beautiful realistic rendering. I can imagine many next gen games looking better on paper but not being stunning and eye wateringly beautiful.

AudiophileRS

Apr 14, 2018
What if you can make concessions to make the game look this good, without it actually looking this good. Like checkerboarding looking almost like 4K but being way cheaper. Maybe real time rendering is more about efficiency and speed that just letting render farms render them. These two disciplines are completely different.

Let's say the woman in this photo is from a real time cutscene on PS5. With the SSD and advanced culling solutions (there was a crazy microsoft tech demo on this), it's not impossible to have this level of detail when the camera is close to her since the PS5 will only have to bother rendering the face while lowering the resolution of background objects with VRS because its hidden behind a shallow DOF. As the camera backs off the geometry engine will lower the polygon count while being imperceptible to us. At the same time the SSD will hammer new objects into the scene that didn't need to be there 1 second ago. Other things like virtual texturing will make this transition even easier to achieve.
This forum needs an up vote system! Nice post.

kill_it_with_fire.gif

Jan 21, 2019
Infamous still holds up. Sucker Punch are a talented bunch.
More like this gen allowed artists to flex their muscle much more than last gen since huge limitations were lifted. I am confident in saying that the gulf between early gen and late gen games is large but the games are equally pretty to my eye. So if the current generation of hardware allowed for this, imagine next gen when hardware and software tools make a huge leap. It will be a generation more beautiful than ever. This is the benefit of heaving powerful yet balanced machines. Sony, Microsoft and AMD outdid themselves. I can't wait for the beauty of next gen.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
More like this gen allowed artists to flex their muscle much more than last gen since huge limitations were lifted. I am confident in saying that the gulf between early gen and late gen games is large but the games are equally pretty to my eye. So if the current generation of hardware allowed for this, imagine next gen when hardware and software tools make a huge leap. It will be a generation more beautiful than ever. This is the benefit of heaving powerful yet balanced machines. Sony, Microsoft and AMD outdid themselves. I can't wait for the beauty of next gen.

Yeah, the gulf is noticeable but it still looks great. And unlike late last gen, games are performing rather well this late in the current cycle.

I struggle to visualise what some of the top studios will achieve next-gen. The hardware at their disposal sounds incredible.

Mindtaker

Banned
Feb 4, 2018
In terms of realism as it pertains to playable character both in and especially, out of cutscenes? Yes, I have honestly not seen any better to date and this definitely comes down to the devs keeping the SSS on at, presumably, all times.

Here are two pure gameplay shots courtesy of Dumbmugi which vividly illustrate that point and bolster yours:

da41051323714120.png

60f6411323714105.png

If this look this good on current gen HW, things can only improve on next gen HW.

Days Gone's model looks really nice.

One of SC Alpha (not photo mode nor cutscene involved):

zZeCIeP.jpg

OP
OP
ResetEraVetVIP
Nov 20, 2019

da41051323714120.png

60f6411323714105.png

One of the best looking games ever made imo. The self shadowing foliage too.

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
lol oh I dunno the fact they threw out CC2's work and started over maybe?

That and games like RDR2 able to do enormous worlds at high fidelity on current generation hardware.

So, nothing except conjecture? RDR is not an apples to apples comparison and we don't have insight into CC2's work.
Level of fidelity is night and day and that's just what's apparent with the naked eye.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
S'more current gen footage based around 1.6 Giggles from 8 Condiment Jugs, 1.8 Pterodactyls, 5 Gassy Bards of Rammstein @ 176 Gestation Per Shark:

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Days Gone's model looks really nice.

One of SC Alpha (not photo mode nor cutscene involved):

zZeCIeP.jpg

Impressively lit. A pretty good rendition of Gollum.

Mindtaker: That is shifting baseline syndrome. I mean what looks CG like is actually a shifting target. Advent Children looked very impressive visually when it released, and FFVII R does often have a CG like quality in cutscenes, particularly because of the lighting, material work, excellent motion blur, and cinematic camera.

xtib81

Mar 10, 2019
What I'd like to Know is what to expect from the next AC, the next watcheogs, etc.. all those cross gen games. I hope sur a substantial upgrade, not juste better resolution..

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Gameplay over graphics. I'm replaying OoT and it's more fun than current gen games. It's tough because teraflops and gigawatts can't carry gameplay for you. As a dev you really need to study and be smart to create awesome gameplay.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
The problem with the RT discussion right now is that we have no knowledge whatsoever about what kind of systems they've implemented, other than that they both "support hardware raytracing". We'll have to wait for the big info dump from both sides, with real gameplay featuring various kinds of raytracing, before we'll have any idea what's possible or not. You can't base all your assumptions on how it works today on NVidia cards.
Also using RT doesn't have to be very heavy operation, it can be used for thing which are framerate and resolution independent.

It could be used to in vertex shader to fix characters fingers to properly touch a surface.

In the end its just a way for sampling a world.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
ND have been great at squeezing the HW this gen with one of the best obfuscated LoD system (RDR2 is another gem in this regard):

Shambalakan Indeed, here are a couple more from the same uploader:

6c5f361323713784.jpg

dc01a91323713781.jpg

Mindtaker That's a really nice snapshot. I am hoping for that kind of fidelity across the board for AAA titles focusing realistic visual aesthetics. With probable usage of some form hybrid RT solution on development end, as seen in games like Control and Metro Exodus, characters in real time can only look better.

Feb 6, 2019
That cloud comparison is not pre-rendered on the right.

Here's another PS4 game
bxfgRVk.jpg

And FF7 remake definitely has better hair, better character textures, better shaders/materials than advent children. Shit the character's face texture is mirrored in the movie!

final%20fantasy%20vii%20final%20fantasy%20vii%20advent%20children%20rude%20reno_www.wallpaperhi.com_84.jpg

VS the actual game cutscenes

01_reno.bmp

JamRock7

Banned
Aug 19, 2019
FL
Again, the levels of atmosphere we reached this gen was phenomenal:

Let's look a few pure gameplay shots of Cloud-san's visage under differing lighting conditions from my personal collection:
Damn never mind. They're practically the same :O
My mind can't even process what late next gen games would look like

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Even within FFVIIR I honestly preferred the real time character models over the character models in the prerendered cutscenes. It's hard to explain why, but the characters looked kind of flat and sterile in the prerendered scenes. Yeah, the polygon count was obviously much higher, stuff like hair and cloth moved much more realistically, but I still thought they looked kinda off compared to the real time models. Those have more life and presence.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Gameplay over graphics. I'm replaying OoT and it's more fun than current gen games. It's tough because teraflops and gigawatts can't carry gameplay for you. As a dev you really need to study and be smart to create awesome gameplay.

This is a thread dedicated to next gen tech and graphics, no gameplay talk like that in here, thank you.

Mindtaker

Banned
Feb 4, 2018
Impressively lit. A pretty good rendition of Gollum.

Mindtaker: That is shifting baseline syndrome. I mean what looks CG like is actually a shifting target. Advent Children looked very impressive visually when it released, and FFVII R does often have a CG like quality in cutscenes, particularly because of the lighting, material work, excellent motion blur, and cinematic camera.

Yep, is a drug dealer, and yes, is really impressive for an multiplayer Alpha on a lifelike solar system. That's not even the final tech BTW and need lot of work on other aspects aswell. With that said, it's not on par with Blizzard's cinematics.

The "issue" with FF is that for it cartoonish looking it lacks a lot of details you can see on games or cinematics that approach real life.

I mean, it's a lot easier try to build 3D animation with cartoon aspect than aproximate it to real life like in Uncharted, TLOU, Days Gone, COD, etc.

Talking especific of FFVIIR, and ignoring the amount of bugs on textures and low poly, you can even see in the main character that all materials are not close to CGI level (his shoulder protector or the sword handle for example).

XnW7qLx.jpg

I think next gen will use photogrammetry and photoscan materials for the models and environments. And that mixed with advance illumination techniques will look better than ever. There are examples of that now, it just need capable hardware.

Jan 21, 2019

As opposed to those dumdums who rub a cat on their keyboard to make pretty games. What kind of backwards logic is that? You do realize that at some point Ocarina of Time was a graphically high quality game?

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yep, is a drug dealer, and yes, is really impressive for an multiplayer Alpha on a lifelike solar system. That's not even the final tech BTW and need lot of work on other aspects aswell. With that said, it's not on par with Blizzard's cinematics.

The "issue" with FF is that for it cartoonish looking it lacks a lot of details you can see on games or cinematics that approach real life.

I mean, it's a lot easier try to build 3D animation with cartoon aspect than aproximate it to real life like in Uncharted, TLOU, Days Gone, COD, etc.

Talking especific of FFVIIR, and ignoring the amount of bugs on textures and low poly, you can even see in the main character that all materials are not close to CGI level (his shoulder protector or the sword handle for example).

XnW7qLx.jpg

I think next gen will use photogrammetry and photoscan materials for the models and environments. And that mixed with advance illumination techniques will look better than ever. There are examples of that now, it just need capable hardware.

Has this been adressed by Square Enix? Is it a bug or those are the actual textures?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I assume the expectations for 2 are, "bigger map, more story, bigger everything, more npcs," etc. So we probably aren't say, getting scenes of this quality as consistently as a 10-15 hr expansion.

Especially since they're most likely investing in better tools for the tons & tons of convos we'll be having with npcs to match the presentation of something like the witcher 3 or AC Odyssey which go quite a bit further than AB camera style.

Honestly neither of those clips is impressive.

I was talking more as in the frequency of fully animated cutscenes in comparison to the ones using premade gestures and such.

TFW Advent Children is still doing stuff we can't do in realtime...but has WAY worse art direction than even games from last gen let alone FFVIIr.
It's not just worse aesthetics. It's garbo on a technical level.

1443_1_1080p.jpg

1443_9_1080p.jpg

This movie just looks like garbage. It was also rendered in SD and blown up to HD.

Jan 21, 2019
One thing I wonder is if we will soon have animation libraries like we have asset libraries. Like a company specializing in creating great animations for all kinds of animals that you can then put into your engine. I mean let's take a rabbit. A rabbit is a rabbit, if it is put into Red Dead 2 or The Last of Us 2 or whatever. Their movement is the same. I would love to see a company specialize on this kinda work, so that ravens flying away by a gunshot don't look wooden or mismatched with rest of the game.

As graphics approach CG levels, the next big thing will be animation and I don't think it's good practice to have every company designing their own rabbit animations.