What should happen to Aerith in the FFVIIR saga?

• She should die, it's her destiny

Votes: 395 57.7%
  • She should live, fuck destiny

Votes: 289 42.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
He saves the life of someone he is about to kill by dropping the plates. Their writing is just nonsense.

The writing in general in this game is all over the place. I feel like we had 2 teams writing. Sometimes the writing was spot-on, but then you had weird stuff like....Tifa and Aerith conversing in Chapter 17 whether they thought Cloud was all right because he'd been acting weird. Ummm...didn't Tifa herself just see Sephiroth?! Or we acting like that didn't just happen?

Come to think of it, did ANY of them (EVEN CLOUD!?) mention Sephiroth at all during Chapter 17 until the moment he stabbed Barret?

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I still don't understand how he didn't age AT ALL between when Aeris was a toddler and now.
I've known people like that. Asian people especially.

What I noticed more is that they didn't use his younger ponytail design from BC/CC in the flashback. Him letting his hair down was supposed to be his defining moment stepping into his leadership role.

Crisis%20Core%20Final%20Fantasy%20VII_92d0db79092377a40d32620f9ee9552e1422487306-full.png

Crisis-Core-Final-Fantasy-VII-image-crisis-core-final-fantasy-vii-36420713-480-272.jpg

ec9a87ec0700788a28a5f848e973f50c--tetsuya-nomura-final-fantasy.jpg

Vagrant717

Nov 12, 2019
The scene before Jenova appears in her true form shows quick shots of her face which indicates the Sephiroth that just killed the president was her. Once you beat her you see her body AND the clone which disappears.

This does not mean the clones can now transform into Sephiroth otherwise there would be two Sephiroths. It's all illusions by Jenova.
Yes first we see Sephiroth, then we see Jenova, then we finally see the clone. Once the fight is over, the clone is the one that's surrounded by all that black smoke.

BeanBoi

Jun 20, 2019
I'm sure this has been said already, but I'm replaying the game on hard mode and one of Sephiroth's first scenes in Chapter 2 is him standing next to Aerith and saying "You're too weak to save anyone".

Absolutely convinced the 7 seconds till the end is him killing Aerith.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of ways that can be interpreted that have nothing to do with time travel. Sephiroth's very existence on the Planet is wrong unto itself due to his alien DNA and desire to upend the natural order of the universe.

There doesn't need to be a clone or body left behind because they didn't knock him down. He stopped the fight short and escaped.
The Sephiroth you fight at the end has his wing feathers which are from AC, knows all about Cloud and even asks him to join him in defying destiny, shows the exact effects of meteor destroying midgar and makes sure Cloud focuses his hatred on him.

There is no possible way this isn't the real Sephiroth who was defeated. He shouldn't already know what Cloud is capable of.

Oct 26, 2017
Come to think of it, did ANY of them (EVEN CLOUD!?) mention Sephiroth at all during Chapter 17 until the moment he stabbed Barret?
They did not. It was SO bizarre. The entire Chapter 17 I kept waiting for someone to say, "Hey...we gonna talk about that guy with the big fucking sword a moment ago?"

There's a lot of ways that can be interpreted that have nothing to do with time travel. Sephiroth's very existence on the Planet is wrong unto itself due to his alien DNA and desire to upend the natural order of the universe.

There doesn't need to be a clone or body left behind because they didn't knock him down. He stopped the fight short and escaped.
Sephiroth's existence isn't too alien to the planet when compared to any other Soldier. He has one minor difference between other Soldiers, but in the end, it's Jenova that binds them all together.

By the way, are OG 7 spoilers cool for here or should we mark them?

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I'm sure this has been said already, but I'm replaying the game on hard mode and one of Sephiroth's first scenes in Chapter 2 is him standing next to Aerith and saying "You're too weak to save anyone".

that would make no sense since Aerith knows she will be killed in the remake timeline so she goes through the portal but regrets it afterwards. Now she knows she probably wont die or something.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

It's been said outright that it's 7 seconds until the end of the world. Almost every other translation but the English one makes this far more clear. Also the Chapter menu also says that the "end of creation" is a moment frozen at exactly 7 seconds before the Planet's demise.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
It's been said outright that it's 7 seconds until the end of the world. Almost every other translation but the English one makes this far more clear. Also the Chapter menu also says that the "end of creation" is a moment frozen at exactly 7 seconds before the Planet's demise.

isn't the end of creation place where Cloud omnislashes Sephiroth?

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
First we see Sephiroth, then we see Jenova, then we finally see the clone. Once the fight is over, the clone is the one that's surrounded by all that black smoke.
Yes and you see Jenovas body on the ground. We already know pieces of Jenovas body will trigger fights with her just like in the original. The only implication you can get is that the clones can now be part of Jenova when she appears. This doesn't mean the clones now have the power to turn into Sephiroth otherwise characters would have seen him during the times Cloud did. Tifa would see Sephiroth when the clone fell out his apartment and Aerith would see Sephiroth when the other clone touched Cloud.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They did not. It was SO bizarre. The entire Chapter 17 I kept waiting for someone to say, "Hey...we gonna talk about that guy with the big fucking sword a moment ago?"

I know a lot of people say Chapter 18 is where the plot breaks down, but I really think it's 17. 17 still has some good moments for sure but the character breakdowns begin there and the storytelling starts to lose all focus in favor of this rapidfire THIS THEN THIS THEN THIS THEN THIS mindset that makes it impossible for anything to be dwelled on long enough to have any impact.

Which is, probably not coincidentally, EXACTLY what starts happening in the last four or five hours of KH3. Constant inundation of insane shit so you don't have enough time to be like "wait that was dumb" or "hold on that makes no sense".

isn't the end of creation place where Cloud omnislashes Sephiroth?

Cloud Omnislashes Sephiroth in a black void, I'm pretty sure. The scene at the end of this game between Cloud and Seph is stated in the chapter menu to be an illusion of the final seven seconds of the Planet's life.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Cloud Omnislashes Sephiroth in a black void, I'm pretty sure. The scene at the end of this game between Cloud and Seph is stated in the chapter menu to be an illusion of the final seven seconds of the Planet's life.

Interesting stuff ..... I got a really big feeling Sephiroth will be more scary in the remake timeline. All we fought was an illusion anyway and I assume the real Seph is the one in the edge of creation scene.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
The way the whole party no-sold that moment was so weird to me. Everything from Hojo's lab onward is the sloppiest writing I've ever seen in a Final Fantasy game. It wouldn't shock me to learn that the closing bits were more or less thrown together relative to everything else.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
The way the whole party no-sold that moment was so weird to me. Everything from Hojo's lab onward is the sloppiest writing I've ever seen in a Final Fantasy game. It wouldn't shock me to learn that the closing bits were more or less thrown together relative to everything else.

At least Palmer still sees him lol

Vagrant717

Nov 12, 2019
Yes and you see Jenovas body on the ground. We already know pieces of Jenovas body will trigger fights with her just like in the original. The only implication you can get is that the clones can now be part of Jenova when she appears. This doesn't mean the clones now have the power to turn into Sephiroth otherwise characters would have seen him during the times Cloud did. Tifa would see Sephiroth when the clone fell out his apartment and Aerith would see Sephiroth when the other clone touched Cloud.
Yes in the original, Sephiroth uses Jenova as an avatar. But in this we see Sephiroth pick up the body afterwards, which means he's using something else to project himself with (i.e the clones). Same thing happens in an earlier scene on that bridge platform. They see Jenova in a tube, yet Sephiroth is standing right infront of it.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I just rewatched the scene and I don't think Sephiroth actually appeared there? I originally was sure he did because the Jenova tank is right there but Hojo says "and thus is the hypothesis is proven correct" which makes me think it wasn't real and purposefully setup by Hojo to test Clouds response. This would explain them not reacting past this scene if it was made clear it was fake.

Now I could be wrong and it's just a poorly thought out scene but when I just watched it seemed to be a test for everyone much like what he does after.

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the game. I'm upset with the ending...actually pissed. 99% of the game felt perfect to me but then Aeris just had to spout crazy bullshit at the end of the highway and watch the entire plot line just fall into Kingdom Hearts fan fiction. I'm not sure I would have been surprised with how ridiculous that was to see Sephiroth take off a mask at the edge of creation to reveal he's really Xenhanort. Cloud is Sora, Goofy revived Biggs and Donald Duck is the one casting Meteor to destroy the planet.
Add in the Zack stuff which totally takes away from the great Crisis Core storyline and Cloud's backstory...I don't know...I'm not happy about it. I get adding on some cool extra characters/scenes...I was rolling with some of the extra expanded levels/padding as well but this just deviates so far from the original...BOOOOOO! Not like this Square!!!!

ZeroDS

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I just rewatched the scene and I don't think Sephiroth actually appeared there? I originally was sure he did because the Jenova tank is right there but Hojo says "and thus is the hypothesis is proven correct" which makes me think it wasn't real and purposefully setup by Hojo to test Clouds response. This would explain them not reacting past this scene if it was made clear it was fake.

Now I could be wrong and it's just a poorly thought out scene but when I just watched it seemed to be a test for everyone much like what he does after.
It seems like almost everyone is looking at him though? I've only seen the scene once so far though

Oct 26, 2017
I know a lot of people say Chapter 18 is where the plot breaks down, but I really think it's 17. 17 still has some good moments for sure but the character breakdowns begin there and the storytelling starts to lose all focus in favor of this rapidfire THIS THEN THIS THEN THIS THEN THIS mindset that makes it impossible for anything to be dwelled on long enough to have any impact.

Which is, probably not coincidentally, EXACTLY what starts happening in the last four or five hours of KH3. Constant inundation of insane shit so you don't have enough time to be like "wait that was dumb" or "hold on that makes no sense".
Agreed. I was enjoying the game, despite it's flaws, until Chapter 17. That's when it really lost me, and the ending sealed the deal.

It seems like almost everyone is looking at him though? I've only seen the scene once so far though
At minimum, Tifa reacts to seeing Sephiroth. You could argue the others don't maybe.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Just finished the game. I'm upset with the ending...actually pissed. 99% of the game felt perfect to me but then Aeris just had to spout crazy bullshit at the end of the highway and watch the entire plot line just fall into Kingdom Hearts fan fiction. I'm not sure I would have been surprised with how ridiculous that was to see Sephiroth take off a mask at the edge of creation to reveal he's really Xenhanort. Cloud is Sora, Goofy revived Biggs and Donald Duck is the one casting Meteor to destroy the planet.
Add in the Zack stuff which totally takes away from the great Crisis Core storyline and Cloud's backstory...I don't know...I'm not happy about it. I get adding on some cool extra characters/scenes...I was rolling with some of the extra expanded levels/padding as well but this just deviates so far from the original...BOOOOOO! Not like this Square!!!!

welcome to what we are discussing.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I should clarify. They all do see him but it's not actually Sephiroth. It's a projection of some sort since we know Hojo can't actually make him appear.

It's the first part of his tests that he continues when the party splits.

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Opened up YouTube after listening to the OST all day the last two days. Now my recommendations are full with "Theory about the 7 seconds", "Things everyone is missing from the 7 seconds line" or "Final Fantasy VII Remake's ending actually explained" (you know that one is probably a winner considering that nobody can fully explain it without going into unconfirmed theory territory, lol) videos or hot takes like "Did Square-Enix lie about the FF7 Remake?". The next years will be kind of crazy, won't they? Haha... Mind that I do like discussing theories and such. I mean we're doing it in here, too. But depending on how it's done it can also be somewhat tiring in a way. Hard to explain.

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

If you go back to the part of the Jenova pod where Sephiroth appeared you can clearly see where the Masamune cut through the catwalk Cloud was on. But nobody ever really talks about him after that. It's so fucking weird.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
If you go back to the part of the Jenova pod where Sephiroth appeared you can clearly see where the Masamune cut through the catwalk Cloud was on. But nobody ever really talks about him after that. It's so fucking weird.
Oh I know the platform was destroyed but again I don't think this was actually Sephiroth. The fact he speaks makes it even weirder because during the scenes where it carries Jenova he says nothing.

It's either some kind of projection or fake creation to test Cloud. When Cloud falls we don't see what happens with the others after which would explain them realizing it wasn't actually Sephiroth.

I think the scene should have been much clearer but they cutoff the part we as players should have seen.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. And this is why I joked to my brother, but half-serious, that it felt like we had 2 different teams who worked on their pieces separately, then come together and stitched it all together. Take this for example, right after when you first take control of Aerith and Tifa after Cloud gets knocked below:

Tifa: "Hey, you think Cloud's doing okay? He's been acting really weird lately. More than usual."

He's acting exactly how I would expect someone to act after seeing a ghost from 5 years ago! And you should be acting weird about it too, Tifa!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I know the platform was destroyed but again I don't think this was actually Sephiroth. The fact he speaks makes it even weirder because during the scenes where it carries Jenova he says nothing.

It's either some kind of projection or fake creation to test Cloud. When Cloud falls we don't see what happens with the others after which would explain them realizing it wasn't actually Sephiroth.

I honestly think it's just bad writing. Hojo seems COMPLETELY aware Sephiroth is there and is playing it to his advantage ("I would love to meet their offspring", etc) but the entire party seems to catch the idiot ball for the entirety of Chapter 17 and 18 and none of them really seem to want to talk about a dead man attacking them or stabbing Barret or anything.

It really feels like the developers didn't intend for Sephiroth to be there until the office like in the original game but then randomly pasted him into early Chapter 17 for a trailer shot, since man did that shot of Cloud leaping at him get a TON of mileage in trailers.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
The Sephiroth you fight at the end has his wing feathers which are from AC, knows all about Cloud and even asks him to join him in defying destiny, shows the exact effects of meteor destroying midgar and makes sure Cloud focuses his hatred on him.

There is no possible way this isn't the real Sephiroth who was defeated. He shouldn't already know what Cloud is capable of.
The wing is a product of "becoming a monster". Angeal and Genesis both grow wings after realizing the truth and "ascending." Sephiroth never got the chance to use that form in FF7 since he was immediately killed by Cloud. Plus that world and his body are an illusion.

Sephiroth knows all about Cloud. Cloud was the one that killed him. Of course he knows what Cloud is capable of. He's always taken special interest in fucking with Cloud.

He asks Cloud to lend him his strength as a part of Reunion and also because the new interpretation of his goal is he wants to "save" the world from its fated end by having it all join with him.

There's nothing about that Sephiroth that can't be explained without it being a time travelling Sephiroth that knows the plot.

Sephiroth's existence isn't too alien to the planet when compared to any other Soldier. He has one minor difference between other Soldiers, but in the end, it's Jenova that binds them all together.

By the way, are OG 7 spoilers cool for here or should we mark them?
Sephiroth is different in that had Jenova as part of his DNA since before birth so its more part of his being. Regular Soldiers just get injected as adults, so it's more like a virus than a part of their bodies. Also, after he died, he merged with Jenova's head and essentially become Jenova. He is the antithesis of the Cetra.

Oct 27, 2017
welcome to what we are discussing.

Glad to finally finish the game and be a part of it! Wow I did not expect that much of a noise dive in writing though. To be so faithful to the OG for 99% of the game and then just turn the story loose at the end just soured me big time.
I honestly think it's just bad writing. Hojo seems COMPLETELY aware Sephiroth is there and is playing it to his advantage ("I would love to meet their offspring", etc) but the entire party seems to catch the idiot ball for the entirety of Chapter 17 and 18.

It really feels like the developers didn't intend for Sephiroth to be there until the office like in the original game but then randomly pasted him into early Chapter 17 for a trailer shot, since man did that shot of Cloud leaping at him get a TON of mileage in trailers.

I'm with you. Writing around Sephiroth with regards to the rest of the party is poorly done in the last few chapters

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
They all see him and then nobody brings it up later. It's so bizarre. I was waiting for somebody to be like "wtf was Sephiroth doing here?"
Tifa at the very least should have had a major reaction but never does through the whole ending. Last time she saw Sephiroth he murdered everyone in her village, burned it to the ground, murdered her dad, and she tried to kill him with his own sword but he beat the shit out of her. But instead she has like no reaction and then fights him with perky one-liners.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
They all see him and then nobody brings it up later. It's so bizarre. I was waiting for somebody to be like "wtf was Sephiroth doing here?"

There was a severe lack of concern over Cloud getting like 30 serious and sudden headaches + visions. They ask if he's okay... but no answer should lead you to believe him.

Vagrant717

Nov 12, 2019
Yeah it really does get sloppy towards the last few chapters. Plot holes, characters not reacting to certain things, and the entire mess that is the ending, all culminating to the game finishing on pretty a bad note.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Tifa at the very least should have had a major reaction but never does through the whole ending. Last time she saw Sephiroth he murdered everyone in her village, burned it to the ground, murdered her dad, and she tried to kill him with his own sword but he beat the shit out of her. But instead she has like no reaction and then fights him with perky one-liners.

Like for all the work they put into the characters, almost NONE of them feel like themselves in Chapter 18 once Seph shows up at the end of the highway. Aeris becomes a soft-spoken Kingdom Hearts exposition-bot, Tifa completely blanks on anything resembling a reasonable reaction to Sephiroth's presence, and Barret...

Actually, Barret and Red are fine. Though it's kinda weird Barret seems to be having fun killing the entities that just saved his life TWICE in the past fifteen minutes.

BeanBoi

Jun 20, 2019
Where are you seeing this? I just took a look in chapter select and don't see what you're talking about.
that would make no sense since Aerith knows she will be killed in the remake timeline so she goes through the portal but regrets it afterwards. Now she knows she probably wont die or something.
So Sephiroth is just straight up going to not attempt to kill her? That would make no sense. He's still going to try, she's arguably his biggest threat.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
There was a severe lack of concern over Cloud getting like 30 serious and sudden headaches + visions. They ask if he's okay... but no answer should lead you to believe him.
Tifa knows he's messed up without knowing all the details. Aerith does too at some level. And Barret doesn't seem like the guy to confront Cloud about this.

I also don't think his hallucinations play out that dramatically to everyone else as we see it. A lot of camera and cutscene hijinks make it seem like more than it really is. The worst it gets is Cloud cowering from Sephiroth after the plate fell, and that lasts like 5 seconds.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Where are you seeing this? I just took a look in chapter select and don't see what you're talking about.

Go into the chapter objectives screen and then press L1 or R1 until you get to Chapter 18. The last node on the Chapter 18 objectives menu states that "Sephiroth takes Cloud to a vision of seven seconds before the Planet's demise" or something along those lines.

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
I liked that scene with Cloud and Tifa in the flower garden outside Aerith's house in Chapter 14. Oh Cloud, going from not embracing her to doing it too roughly lol.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly think it's just bad writing. Hojo seems COMPLETELY aware Sephiroth is there and is playing it to his advantage ("I would love to meet their offspring", etc) but the entire party seems to catch the idiot ball for the entirety of Chapter 17 and 18 and none of them really seem to want to talk about a dead man attacking them or stabbing Barret or anything.

I don't think Hojo is able to create a meeting between Sephiroth and Cloud. The only two explainations for that scene is that it was fake(the damage obviously not) to test Clouds response or somehow Jenova being close enough to a clone can trigger her being Sephiroth even though she is in a tank.

The scene isn't executed well which I can agree but I really don't think its there with no reason. The issue will be if they ever actually address it.

They needed to dial back the headaches. Nomura really needs someone, every once in a while, to tell him that less can be more.
Normally I would actually agree here but I think the fact things are now being pushed onto Cloud like clone encounters and Sephiroth appearing where he shouldn't would trigger him a lot.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Hojo is able to create a meeting between Sephiroth and Cloud. The only two explainations for that scene is that it was fake(the damage obviously not) to test Clouds response or somehow Jenova being close enough to a clone can trigger her being Sephiroth even though she is in a tank.

The scene isn't executed well which I can agree but I really don't think its there with no reason. The issue will be if they ever actually address it.

I don't think Hojo has that kind of capability. Hojo knew Sephiroth was in the building but the "face to face" he was talking about was Aeris and Sephiroth, not Cloud and Sephiroth. It's pretty clear he wanted Sephiroth to be the one to impregnate Aeris so he could get his hands on more Cetra genetic material.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
So Sephiroth is just straight up going to not attempt to kill her? That would make no sense. He's still going to try, she's arguably his biggest threat.

sorry what? Remake Seph knows he loses already in the original timeline. If he plays his cards the same way then he's gonna lose again. We're expecting a bigger Sephiroth threat here like Aerith makes him out to be.

BeanBoi

Jun 20, 2019
Go into the chapter objectives screen and then press L1 or R1 until you get to Chapter 18. The last node on the Chapter 18 objectives menu states that "Sephiroth takes Cloud to a vision of seven seconds before the Planet's demise" or something along those lines.
Found it! Thanks. I guess I'll have to wait and see what this means...not sure why Sephiroth would bother, but I guess he really wants Cloud to join him in whatever he's going to do to end the planet.
It makes a hell of a lot of sense if he knows that killing her like he did in the original is what ultimately screwed him.
Yeah I highly doubt he'll go for the same method, but there's no way he's not going to try imo.
sorry what? Remake Seph knows he loses already in the original timeline. If he plays his cards the same way then he's gonna lose again. We're expecting a bigger Sephiroth threat here like Aerith makes him out to be.
Right. Well after being shown the chapter description, seems like that wasn't what he was going for. Regardless, I still think he's going to try and kill her. Many different ways to do that.

doodlebob

Mar 11, 2018
They also don't acknowledge Sephiroth, who made Cloud fall in Hojo's lab. For 2 hours they're running around killing random enemies without once bringing up Sephiroth. This wasn't just some hallucination either, they could all see something there.

Vagrant717

Nov 12, 2019
It makes a hell of a lot of sense if he knows that killing her like he did in the original is what ultimately screwed him.
What ultimately screwed Sephiroth was Cloud and co. going down into the Northern Crater to kick his ass. By the time Meteor is colliding with the planet, Sephiroth's already out of the picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.