TheLifesWay's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Howick Falls in KwaZulu Natal, South Africa

Hi Friends, 

Howick Falls is nearly 95m in height and Umgeni River water forms the main source of this fall. The beauty of these falls is amazing and KwaZulu Natal as a province is one of the most beautiful states with all its natural beauty. This is the only falls that have no entrance fees when I last visited.

Howick Falls, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa (Local Guides @TheLifesWay)Howick Falls, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa (Local Guides @TheLifesWay)

This comes when you are traveling from Johannesburg to Durban via N3 and there is a small detour of around 10km from the main road to get to the inside town of Howick and see this beautiful waterfall. 

Howick Falls, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa (Local Guides @TheLifesWay)Howick Falls, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa (Local Guides @TheLifesWay)

This is the only fall where you don't have to walk more than 10-15m to see the same after parking your car. There is plenty of parking for at least 10 cars. 

The viewing area of the falls is right on the edge of the road and can easily be reached by anyone. There is plenty of shops and restaurants around the falls to get cold drinks, beers, etc. 

There are many local shops selling South African cultural key rings, collectibles and merchandise made by the local artists and villagers. 

This falls causes a lot of accidents and many people have died around this falls as you can see there is a community living right near the edges of these falls. Also, many people try to dive into the pool underneath and lost their lives because of hitting the rocks, etc. 

It was really great to visit these falls for the first time and there were free community washrooms that were clean. It was too hot weather when I visited the same and I immediately went to buy the cold drinks at the shop nearby. I also bought a copper bangle for myself to wear every day from the local shops.

All the photos are taken by Local Guides @TheLifesWay  using Canon EOS 100D camera at Howick Falls, South Africa. 

Sawubona!

Aashish Rai
#TheLifesWay #PhotoYatra

#TheLifesWay #PhotoYatra
Howick, South Africa
14 comments
Level 9

Re: Howick Falls in KwaZulu Natal, South Africa

@TheLifesWay 

Africa is truly a beautiful place to visit. 

Best regards. 

Level 8

Sawubona @TheLifesWay wow look at this beauty in Kwazulu Natal. Your pictures are so beautiful they tell the story. I have a copper bangle that I've had since I was very young from Lady Smith, I treasure that thing.  Thank you so much for sharing. 

Level 10

Indeed Africa is so beautiful and filled with so much of natural beauty @Austinelewex 

#TheLifesWay #PhotoYatra
Level 10

That's amazing that you are holding on to the bangle @LeyleyS Thanks for your appreciation! Cheers!! Aashish

#TheLifesWay #PhotoYatra
Level 9

@TheLifesWay 

Why is the river below the waterfalls  greenish ?

My curiosity🤔

Level 10

Most of the places it's like that only @Austinelewex like at kimberley big hole the water is green due to algae etc may be. What's your opinion? 

#TheLifesWay #PhotoYatra
Level 9

@TheLifesWay 

Seeing the water fall from the mountain fall, it looks white or rather colorless,  but inside the water body it turns blue.

I guess you may be correct. It is algae. Or other organisms. 

Best regards 

Level 10

@Austinelewex generally it's the reflection of the sky and nearby colors but most of the time the stone underneath is filled with algae and other microorganisms! 

#TheLifesWay #PhotoYatra
Former Google Contributor

Hi @TheLifesWay 

Thank you for sharing this amazing place! I've never seen such enormous waterfall in height before. I'm sure it must've been an amazing experience to witness this. Did you find this by accident or you had planned to visit this waterfall on your way? 

Is it free to visit or are there tickets you need to buy to see it? You mentioned something about a 'copper bangle', could you explain to us who don't know what is it? 🙂 

Thanks! 

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!