Nikken rotary indexer questions?

bcall2043

Active User
Registered
Picked up a Nikken brand rotary indexer shown in photo below. It was in a barn and covered with saw dust and dirt dobber nest remains but is cleaning up nicely.

PB120033.JPG
Is this what some call a "super spacer"? Not sure how all the things work on the new toy. I have figured out how to disengage the worm drive from the spindle and how to lock the spindle. Also figured out the indexing pin engage/disengage mechanism but not sure about some of the other knobs and things. The knurled knobs on the crank mechanism are a mystery to me. There is a long one and a short one attached to the large knurled wheel. Both are tight (don't twist or pull out) and I don't want to force them unless they are designed to perform some function. Anyone know what these do other than the long one can be used to turn the large knurled wheel attached to the worm?

The indexer came with only a 24 notch plate installed but no extra pieces. This will allow a lot of the common spaces. Looking at other indexers advertised, they show a lot of plates and list "masking plates". I understand the other index plates but how would the masking plates have been used?

Lastly does anyone know where to find a user manual for this tool. I have looked in the usual places on line and found nothing. A photo of the model information tag is attached. The company seems to be in business but does not have any links to tools this old. I would like to make sure all the right places are cleaned and lubricated before using.
PB120034.JPG

Thanks,
Benny
The Orphanage Never Closes

PB120033.JPG PB120034.JPG

Picked up a Nikken brand rotary indexer shown in photo below. The company seems to be in business but does not have any links to tools this old. I would like to make sure all the right places are cleaned and lubricated before using.
View attachment 42307

Thanks,
Benny

Yes, still in business and here's a link to the international version of their site: http://www.nikken-world.com/en/index

Why not drop them a line to see if they have anything in their files?

M

Yes, still in business and here's a link to the international version of their site: http://www.nikken-world.com/en/index

Why not drop them a line to see if they have anything in their files?

M

7HC,
Thanks for the reply. I had already looked at that link. It only offers infomation on the newer products. I have continued to dig with the different search tools out there and found the following link: http://www.lyndexnikken.com/images/files/file/Rotary%20Table%20Manuals/SRI150,200,300.pdf

It seems to be a different company name but the same company. The new link is to their manual for the "rotary super index" model #SRI-150 which is most like the one I have . Not the exact same model # but it is close enough to answer most of my questions except for one. How or why do you use the masking plates? The parts illustration on page S-5 of the manual shows the masking plate location but I did not see any instructions for its use. I am not a machinist nor have I played one on TV so I don't understand the need for or the part function.

At this point I am just courious and wanting to learn. I only got the one internal 24 notched index plate and none of the optional external "Indirect Dividing" accessory. I also did not get the rotary table (item #100 "Jig Plate") shown on the parts illustration. There was a 5 inch three jaw Buck brand chuck included. The chuck will allow some usage and I can make a table if the need arrises.

Thanks again,
Benny

Benny,
The masking plates would have had 2,3,4,6,8 or 12 notches in them and would have been installed over the 24 notch master plate to allow the latch pin to only catch on the number of notches you wanted. They just keep you from acidently dropping the latch in the the wrong notch.

My suggestion is to go back to that barn and start looking for more sawdust/dirt piles. That might just be the start of more real treasures !!!
Everybody would like to have that.
dickr

Benny,
The masking plates would have had 2,3,4,6,8 or 12 notches in them and would have been installed over the 24 notch master plate to allow the latch pin to only catch on the number of notches you wanted. They just keep you from acidently dropping the latch in the the wrong notch.

Don,
Thanks for that information. That must mean that using the 24 notch plate that came installed will allow me to cut the 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12, or 24 space combinations without having the masking plates if I am careful. I have plenty of time to be careful these days.

I love learning about this stuff!

I need to make a chuck back plate and I can see this little tool being handy for doing the bolt circle. I have a rotary table but it has also no index plates (would have to be careful) plus it is way too heavy to be lifting onto the mill by myself at this point in life.

My suggestion is to go back to that barn and start looking for more sawdust/dirt piles. That might just be the start of more real treasures !!!
Everybody would like to have that.
dickr

Dickr,
I would love to go back and dig. The gentleman had more machinist tools but seem reluctant to part with them. He is keeping his wood working tools and seemed to think he might use some of the machinist stuff with that hobby. He seemed to be getting rid of the duplicates and tools he had never used. I know how he feels. I have tools I have never used or rarely use and would hate to part with them. Its the old "need vs want" thing. How do you choose when you have a tool addition?

Benny

Back