Lima Shovelnose Catfish... aka “the beast”

Jhefnerjr

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2020
New to the forum and first post.

So... I have an Amazon tank with an Oscar, two electric blue acara, a chocolate cic, bristle nose and “the beast”.

I generally keep a small school of rosey reds or tetras as dither fish and in case anyone is feeling a bit hungry. But this shovel nose eats at least two fish a night. Pretty much anything that will fit in his belly. But he won’t touch shrimp, tilapia, pellets or other non-live food.

Any advice on how or if I have a chance to convert him. He’s a really cool but I’d like to see if I can control how and what he’s eating a bit more. And I’m a bit concerned he may grow quicker than my acara and have a go at one of them.

6ABB72A1-F4F1-4215-A868-D74507518FE3.jpeg

4871E925-7DF0-4531-87DA-91E41F8E13EC.jpeg

97D22B70-5892-4B2F-B0B2-C62C32820AD4.jpeg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Welcome to the forum. Have a little lsn myself. Not way to convert the fish. Keep well fed and keep larger fish that cannot be swallowed. Best best to avoid tankamtes getting eaten. Also could be the Oscar.

Reactions: tlindsey

Jhefnerjr

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2020
I guess I’ll just have to keep up with the live feeders for him. The Oscar eats the FT shrimp and tilapia. He’s like a big Labrador Retriever. Kinda lazy, really affectionate and always wants to be fed. Not aggressive at all.

• Haha
Reactions: tlindsey

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
New to the forum and first post.

So... I have an Amazon tank with an Oscar, two electric blue acara, a chocolate cic, bristle nose and “the beast”.

I generally keep a small school of rosey reds or tetras as dither fish and in case anyone is feeling a bit hungry. But this shovel nose eats at least two fish a night. Pretty much anything that will fit in his belly. But he won’t touch shrimp, tilapia, pellets or other non-live food.

Any advice on how or if I have a chance to convert him. He’s a really cool but I’d like to see if I can control how and what he’s eating a bit more. And I’m a bit concerned he may grow quicker than my acara and have a go at one of them.

View attachment 1444193

View attachment 1444194

View attachment 1444195
As long as there’s a source of prey fish for the Lima to catch, I don’t think you can convert him. There’s no motivation for him to try other foods when he can catch his own dinner

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store