X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bloewen
    • Jan 2012
    • altona

rockwell 3400 spur center

my 3400 came without a spur drive. i have a 6" 3 jaw chuck. is there any spurs available that would fit this chuck ?
  • Leo Van Der Loo
    • May 2007
    • Atikokan, Rainy River District, Ontario.

Re: rockwell 3400 spur center

A 3 jaw chuck is not a wood turning chuck, and possible dangerous to use as such.

To hold a spur drive it could be used though, Oneway makes a spur-drive for their chuck, and you could possible use that one, though you might need to machine it so that your chuck jaws would be able to hold it securely.

Though the better way to go is with a Oneway Talon chuck and the spur drive that's designed for it, that and your lathe could outlive you :) :thumbup:

Have fun and take care
    Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

• bloewen
      • Jan 2012
      • altona

please help me out. i can return the 3 jaw chuck. the oneway chucks at lee valley are quite dear, but i will buy if you can recommend one. the lee valley ones range from $195 to $285 ( i.e. in kit form ). would the busy bee B042 6" 4 jaw chuck work ?

Comment

• Leo Van Der Loo
        • May 2007

That BB one doesn't work either, really, even though they call it a chuck for wood lathe, that one has 4 independent jaws, so you would have to move each jaw individually, and you would forever try to get something centered and then when you take a half turned piece out you'd be hard pressed to get it centered again, and it would take forever to do so.

Yes if you can afford it, I would go with the Oneway Talon chuck, like I said it will last a lifetime, just like your lathe has done, Lee Valley quotes a $229.-- price Oneway does ask $232.-- and Busy Bee $219.-- (not sure they include the adapter as the others do) Then there is Woodchuckers, I'm told he has the chuck for a better price, though you will have to give him a call.

Here's a previous discussion on getting a chuck, more inputs there.

I am new to woodturning and I am looking for a 4 jaw chack to turn some bowls (up to 12" diam) on my new/used general 160 lathe. I would like your opinion on the following budget chucks. I plan on ordering these using the free shipping, so I will not be able to do a hands on comparison between the two. http://www

"The pain of using a cheap tool lingers long after the joy of saving money has passed!"
        Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 01-31-2012, 08:19 PM. Reason: ad a wise man's saying :)

Have fun and take care
        Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

• FDenny
          • Mar 2009
          • Saskatoon SK

I bought a 4 jaw from BB for my 3400 and I believe I paid $99 plus $10 or so for the insert adapter. Cannot find the box for a part # but the chuck has KP96-A on it. This chuck worked good on my 3400 and this would be my reccommendation as a start out chuck. Later I bought a bigger lathe Craftex 128N and I used the BB chuck on it till Santa brought me a Oneway Talon 4 Jaw chuck. The BB chuck was not a waste as I bought a set of Oneway Jumbo Jaws and they fit the BB chuck.
          I dont know about fitting a spur drive on th BB as my lathe had the spur drive.
          Frank from Saskatoon

Comment

• NCPaladin
            • Sep 2009

Does your lathe not have an MT in the headstock? If not, I had an old Jet with a solid spindle and it came with a spur center that threaded onto the spindle. If the headstock has an MT then there are plenty of spur drives and a chuck is not needed.

I have four Nova chucks and they have worked well for me. The G3 should fit the bill and handle anything your lathe can throw at it. It is normally on the bay new for $125 including insert and shipping, seller in Canada I believe. Nova and most other companies may spur drive for their chucks but I just use the MT in my spindle.
            Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

Comment

• FDenny
              • Mar 2009
              • Saskatoon SK

Looked on BB but could not find the chuck I got, but this Grizzly looks the same http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-Ja...x-16-TPI/H6264
              Frank from Saskatoon

Comment

• Bryan @ Woodstock
                • Feb 2006
                • Ridgetown, Ontario

Here is my BB 4 jaw Chuck with jaws removed, and a BB spur drive, this would work as a replacement.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5360.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	876933
                If you had access to a metal lathe, the $9 spur drive could be fashioned like the included screw drive so it locks in place.

Name:	IMG_5361.jpg
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	876934
                Last edited by Bryan @ Woodstock; 02-01-2012, 05:32 AM.
                sigpic
                hobby woodworking since 1972

Comment

• stevem
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007
                  • sarnia ont

spur drives for the 3400 are a common problem unless the lathe is a very old one with the morse taper headstock spindle. the rest just had the threads(7/8 by 14) and no mt

the advice given by others regarding a chuck will work, the oneway is a good sized investment, but will last as long as the lathe and they'll both outlive all of us and once you start turning, you'll soon want a good chuck anyway. just make sure you get the correct adaptor, its a 7/8 by 14 tpi

i know it seems strange to put a $200 chuck on a 40 yr old or so lathe, i did and never regretted it

i do have a couple of beaver spur drives, i rarely use them

Comment

• Mack C. in Brooklin ON
                    • Feb 2006
                    • Brooklin (Whitby) ON

Have you considered the Sorby Steb Centre?
                    Shop Woodworking Hand & Power Tools Collection on Lee Valley. Browse our selection of Reliable Tools for any Woodworking project.
                    Mack C. in Brooklin ON
                    It feels really great to sell a pen;
                    It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact,
                    Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
                    "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!
                    https://www.facebook.com/pages/One-o...95203433854962

Comment

• stevem
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007
                      • sarnia ont

mack, they wont fit a beaver 3400 unless its a very old one with the hollow headstock spindle with the morse taper and adaptor

after 1954, the 3400s had a solid headstock spindle and a hollow tailstock spindle with mt1

Comment

• Mack C. in Brooklin ON
                        • Feb 2006
                        • Brooklin (Whitby) ON

Originally posted by stevem
                        mack, they wont fit a beaver 3400 unless its a very old one with the hollow headstock spindle with the morse taper and adaptor

after 1954, the 3400s had a solid headstock spindle and a hollow tailstock spindle with mt1
                        Gotcha Steve. Thanks. I just assumed all lathes were like my guy!
                        Mack C. in Brooklin ON
                        It feels really great to sell a pen;
                        It feels even greater to give one to a friend!

If your presence doesn't make an impact,
                        Your absence won't make a difference!

I am a proud supporter of
                        "Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers"!
                        https://www.facebook.com/pages/One-o...95203433854962

Comment

• Leo Van Der Loo
                          • May 2007

Here's a picture of the BB 4 jaw chuck, it is normally $150.-- plus $14.-- for the adaptor , however there is no adaptor to fit the Rockwell-Beaver 3400 lathe :frown:

Name:	BB 4 jaw chuck.jpg
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	876937 Click image for larger version

Name:	BB chuck accessories.jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	876938

Then the pictures of the Oneway spur-drive and the Big bite chuck drive, notice the flat faces on the back-end of the drive, that keeps the spur drive from spinning in the chuck, also there is the shoulder to keep the spur-drive from moving in or out, safer that way, then there is the center pin in the spur-drive, it can be adjusted to the depth you like to have that center out, also makes it easier to sharpen things if/when you want to, this shows the thoughts and engineering that goes into all the Oneway products.

Name:	Oneway spur-drive.jpg
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	876939

It isn't always noticed by a casual look at a product, but I say the Oneway chuck and the accessories are the better ones by far and worth every penny of it, so don't just compare two totally different chucks, just because they look good and similar, there is a difference, BIG Difference.

For driving bowl blanks like rough half log type pieces, there is the Big Bite chuck drive it can be used in the chuck, picture here.

Name:	Big Bite chuck spur.jpg
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	876940

Also the MT spur-drive Brian was showing can not be used in that configuration, as it will run into the solid shaft of the 3400 lathe, though it could be machined to be held in the chuck and shortened to not stick out the back, but I'd rather use the Oneway Spur-drive if used in a chuck :) :thumbup:

Have fun and take care
                          Leo Van Der Loo

Comment

• Phred
                            • Dec 2007

I suggest you try woodchuckers. They have a range of chuckk but the barracuda seems to have the best variety of accessories including a spur drive.

Comment

• Andrew_K99
                              • Sep 2009
                              • Waterdown, ON

This may work? http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCENTQC1.html

AK

Comment

Working...